Orants in Historical Christian Art

In early Christian lore, the spreading of the hands symbolized Christ. Thus, Ode of Solomon 27 reads, "I extended my hands and hallowed my Lord; for the expansion of my hands is his sign. And my extension is the upright cross." (James H. Charlesworth, The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha; 2:759.)


Another of the odes declares, "I extended my hands and approached my Lord, because the stretching out of my hands is his sign. And my extension is the common cross, that was lifted up on the way of the Righteous One." (James H. Charlesworth, The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha, 2:770.)

Compare Paul's concept of "Dying and rising with Christ":

"For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:"  Romans 6:5

"And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together."  Romans 8:17

"For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ."  2 Corinthians 1:5

"Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. For we which live are alway delivered unto death for Jesus’ sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh."  2 Corinthians 4:10-11

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

"From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus."  Galatians 6:17

"That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and  the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead."  Philippians 3:10-11

cf also:

"For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:"  1 Peter 2:21

"But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy."  1 Peter 4:13

"Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it."  Matthew 16:24-25

Also see:

No comments: